Over 85 years of history for the cause of Christ

 

  May 9, 1930 brought about a great tragedy for Sherman, Texas: a lynching from an enraged crowd seized the lives of several black residents and consumed the courthouse in flames. One year later, the events touched the heart of a man determined to establish a Fundamental Independent Baptist Church in Sherman. On the remains of the Courthouse Square, Dr. John R. Rice held a thirteen week revival. Forty members came forward in the midst of the revival to become members. The church was established on July 16, 1931 and called Fundamentalist Baptist Church.

 

The first Sunday School met on July 26, 1931. Fundamentalist Baptist Church purchased land on South Montgomery and East Cherry on August 14, 1931. By September, a tabernacle building was erected on that property. The old Tabernacle was torn down between 1938 and 1942, and a frame building replaced the Tabernacle. This frame building contained a basement designed solely for the Sunday School ministry. In the fifties, the church saw a building transplant and name change.

 

 

 

The church changed its name to Central Baptist Church when it moved from Cherry St. and Montgomery St. to Cherry St. and Throckmorton St. Some renovations were made to the auditorium, and it was converted to a two-story Sunday School facility, and larger auditorium was erected beside the Sunday School building. In 1962, the church once again changed locations to 400 South Throckmorton Street. At this location, an auditorium and Sunday School building was built.

May of 1973 brought another change as Central Baptist Church became Grayson Bible Baptist Church. The address also was changed to 600 East Cherry Street. The church continued to minister from that location until 2004, at which time a building was erected at the corner of Highway 82 and Farm to Market 1417. Here the church has been faithful to its task of reaching Sherman for Christ.

00004